More about us
About the Founder
Anna Sharman is highly qualified to advise you about publishing your research. She has:
- A degree in science (Cambridge University, UK, in natural sciences)
- A PhD (University of Reading, UK, on vertebrate evolution)
- Postdoctoral experience (University of Heidelberg, Germany, on zebrafish embryonic development)
- Seven years as an in house journal editor working on Trends in Biochemical Sciences, Current Biology and Genome Biology
- Nine years as a freelance editor and publishing consultant, working mainly for scientific journals of major publishers such as Public Library of Science, BioMed Central, BMJ Group and Nature Publishing Group
- Five years’ experience of developing and presenting workshops to researchers, for example for Oxford University and King’s College London
The Cofactor Story
The idea for Cofactor arose out of the experience of our founder, Anna Sharman. In her years in the lab as a biologist, as a journal editor and as a freelance editor Anna saw the disconnect between what researchers submitted to journals and what the journals wanted. She saw how journals are cutting costs and offering less copyediting and proofreading of research papers after they are accepted, relying instead on authors to get their papers checked.
She saw how quickly the world of scientific publishing is changing and how difficult researchers find it to keep up with new developments. She learnt about open access, new forms of peer review, new ways of processing and presenting research results, and new standards for publication. Finding this new world exciting, Anna wanted to help researchers navigate their way through the publication process.
And Anna wanted to help researchers. She had been a PhD student and postdoc herself, struggling to publish enough to get the next job, so she knew the pressures researchers are under. After fifteen years working for publishers she decided to change her focus to helping scientists. So she launched Cofactor.
Now Cofactor has been established for over four years. Our workshops have taken place in more than 20 universities and institutes in the UK, Europe and further afield. Hundreds of scientists have benefited from Cofactor’s expert editing and advice.
By April 2018 the training side of the business had taken off so successfully that Anna made the decision to focus Cofactor purely on training and consultancy, no longer providing editing except as part of a training and consultancy arrangement.